Thursday, January 1, 2009

Homemade Hummus is... Yummus!


William and I love hummus! I, however, hate how expensive it is so I decided to make my own... It is surprisingly simple and very very tasty!

You'll need a blender - I guess a food processor would do the trick, but I never claimed to be a culinary genius.

Ingredients:

1 19 oz. can of garbanzos (drained, liquid reserved)
1 clove of crushed/chopped (whatever) garlic. Confession: I used 1 tbsp of the stuff in a jar.
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini (some will tell you it is ok to use peanut butter - others think this is horrifying - I can't risk it, so I found tahini in our local grocery store in the olive section)

Stick all of this in your blender. Stop and start like 100 times to keep scraping all the stuff in to where the blades can do their work. If it is too dry, add some of the reserved liquid from the garbanzos - you DID remember to drain - didn't you?? I used maybe half of the liquid or a little less - I don't like my hummus too runny.

This is not expensive - at all. The tahini is a little pricey but I estimate that I have enough to make hummus for quite some time... Try it... you'll like it!

2 comments:

Evelyn said...

I will DEFINITELY give this a try!

YUM!

Anonymous said...

Everyone loves it when folks come together and share thoughts.

Great site, continue the good work!

Here is my website :: no2 maximus reviews