Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sweet Snack Mix

OK - I wanted to try to make my own snack mix. This post serves to explain why being a novice chef and having poor perceptual skills is a dangerous combination. I set out to buy ingredients - so of course I went to BJ's. I came home feeling very satisfied and went to work. Now - I don't know how to tell you how much of everything I used. I had bought an aluminum roasting pan (because I do not have one at all - I told you N-O-V-I-C-E) and just filled it up with a nice mixture of Cheerios, Chex, peanuts, and pretzels.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I decided that that was a lot - so I doubled this recipe for the sauce:

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
1-1/2 cups light brown sugar

In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the ingredients.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

In the meantime, you should preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Then you take this sticky syrupy mix and pour it evenly over the aforementioned mixture of crunchy snacks and mix thoroughly.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Then you put in the oven for an hour - stirring very 15 minutes. Later - cool on wax paper and store in airtight containers. This made a LOT of stuff - A whole lot!! Be forewarned... this stuff is really sweet. But seriously, it is like sweet sticky crack. You just can not stop eating it.

To that end I will not be making this again - not for personal use. Maybe for a class party (CHECK for peanut allergies first if you do this...)

2 comments:

Valarie Lea said...

I am gonna have to remember this at Christmas. You can make and then give it away to teachers and such.

storm indigo said...

"...it is like sweet sticky crack."
very funny. I enjoy making caramel popcorn and it's the same, so addictive.